Dear All:

Whilst I was searching for some stuff on Title 15 I stumbled across these notes. The first is from the Title 15.

to require that each Federal agency, by a date certain and to the extent economically feasible by the end of the fiscal year 1992, use the metric system of measurement in its procurements, grants, and other business-related activities, except to the extent that such use is impractical or is likely to cause significant inefficiencies or loss of markets to United States firms, such as when foreign competitors are producing competing products in non-metric units;

The second is NASA policy. Interesting how a few changes of wording can dilute the congressional meaning. I refer specifically to the last line

Require consideration of the metric system of measurement for
all new programs and projects and New Capability Construction of
Facilities (COF) Projects, and use the metric system of measurement in
related NASA procurements, grants, and business activities, unless such
use can be demonstrated to be impractical or likely to cause significant
inefficiencies or loss of markets to U.S. firms.

John Nichols BE, Ph.D. (Newcastle), MIE (Aust), Chartered Professional Engineer
Assistant Professor
Texas A&M University
Department of Construction Science
Langford AC