I contacted the HGTV network due to a lack of metric specifications in their programs.  Following is the email and reply I recieved.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2003 5:54 AM
Subject: RE: HGTV - Other Comments and Concerns

Brenton,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding our design programming and the measurement system used by some HGTV design hosts.  We appreciate you taking the time to voice your opinion and we’d like to take this opportunity to address some of your concerns.

As you have mentioned, we use the metric system in Canada and have been doing so for over 20 years.  While we are proud to be a Canadian network, it is also our goal to provide design and home improvement ideas and project information in a vocabulary that is familiar to viewers and standard in the industry. While many Canadians have adopted the metric system in their everyday lives, much of the design industry still relies on feet and inches when referring to space, and yards when referring to design materials – especially fabrics. The home improvement industry regularly uses feet and inches when providing measurement descriptions, including those for square-footage and ceiling measurements. The imperial system is also commonly used for Canadian real estate descriptions of lot and room sizes.

Leading Canadian educational institutions specializing in interior design programs, including Humber College and Ryerson University, continue to use parts of the imperial system in their curriculums. As well, Canadians in the fashion and design industry regularly work in inches and yards as this is an acceptable industry standard.

We would be more than happy to pass along your comments to the appropriate producers for future consideration, however and we thank you once again for taking the time to write to us with your concerns.

We hope you are able to continue to enjoy HGTV programming in the future.

Sincerely,

Amy Lane
Communications Coordinator
HGTV

We hope you continue to enjoy our programming.

Sincerely,

HGTV Viewer Relations