I was 17 at the time - so I plead guilty to not knowing a good wine if it hit me in the head. But I did not what a litre was to keep us on track

Of course there is the story of my ex-brother-in-law who used a steel cage to house his wine........
let's not go there this is a wholesome site related to metric.

From: "Bill Potts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [USMA:29771] RE: Fwd: RE: Calif. wineries go outside the bottle -- Tangentially off topic
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:18:26 -0700
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cold Duck isn't a brand.

It's a translation of "kalte Ente," which is itself a result of wordplay on
"kalte Ende," meaning cold end.

I haven't seen Cold Duck in some years (which may just mean I haven't been
looking -- mainly because, as a wine lover, I like real wine).

The following (at
http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary/food/index.ssf?DEF_ID=1120) describes,
more fully, the origin of the term, including why it was originally called
cold end:

cold duck
Originating in Germany, this pink sparkling wine is a mixture of champagne,
sparkling Burgundy and sugar. Its origin is traced back to the Bavarian
practice of mixing bottles of previously opened Champagne with cold
sparkling Burgundy so the Champagne wouldn't be wasted. This mixture was
called kalte Ende  ("cold end"); over the years, Ende  transliterated to
Ente ("duck"). The wines used to make cold duck are often of inferior
quality. The resulting potation is quite sweet with few other
distinguishable characteristics.

I've corrected the original, by capitalizing the nouns, which is an absolute
requirement in German.

Bill Potts, CMS
Roseville, CA
http://metric1.org [SI Navigator]

John Nichols BE, Ph.D. (Newcastle), MIE (Aust), Chartered Professional Engineer
Assistant Professor
Texas A&M University, Department of Construction Science
Langford AC Rm: A414 MD 3137, College Station, TX 77843-3137

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Electronic mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Telephone: 979 845 6541
Facsimile: 979 862 1572