--- Jim Elwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 27 08 04, 04:02 PM, mavi fibe wrote:
> Marcus, I would be discouraged too if I believed as
> you do -- that it is
> the government (e.g., CalTrans) at the ". . .
> forefront of bring progress
> to the US . . ..

That's NOT what I meant, Jim.  What I intended to say
was that it was Caltrans which in my understanding was
in the forefront of bringing progress as far as THIS
area of the industry is concerned.  Also in the sense
that they had not caved in (until now, obviously...)
to external pressures.

Now, if our "friends" (SIC) caved in what can ANYONE
realistically expect it would happen with the rest???

I'm sorry, but there IS no hope in the highway
industry, period!  More on this below.

> " Should I have waited to metricate
> my company until some
> bozo politician told me (or forced me) to do so?

The problem, Jim, that you and many others here fail
to realize is that when it comes to SOME KEY
industries NOT having a government mandate is
synonimous with NO progress, *period*!  Or have you
EVER heard of ANY DOT around the globe that
successfully metricated by 'private initiatives' as
you hinted at above???

Again, this is perhaps the n-th time I mention this,
show me PROOF that it can be done in such key areas
and then fine I'll hold my silence!

> There is metrication going on in the US, and (with
> the exception of our
> metric armed forces) it is PRIMARILY being done by
> private companies.

This piecemeal approach may give the *illusion* that
works but, when this situation starts getting on the
nerves of ifp goons, watch and see a HUGE downfall
emerge!  It's happened before (DOT, for instance) and
it won't stop happening.

Bottom line is, wake up the monster of public outcry
when people start realizing they cannot obtain their
"beloved" (SIC) oz, floz (and whatever other garbage
there is) anymore and you'll see industry players balk
on the double.

> And
> it will continue to be done by private companies
> until the bozo politicians
> see the political winds supporting metric enough
> that they want to jump on
> the bandwagon (and pretend to be "leaders").

It's nice to hear you keep being an optimist, Jim.
That's commendable, but I'm sick and tired of playing
a lost game.  Again, the clock is ticking and you have
what now?... 8 and some years to prove me you're right
(please forgive me, my friend, I keep forgetting the
exact amount of time we betted on).

> Government is the FOLLOWER not the LEADER in
> metrication.

WRONG!  At least as far as some sectors of the economy
are concerned, government leadership is simply
paramount, absolutely vital, critical (DOT's being
just ONE example).

Again, I must insist, show me ONE proof where
metrication was successful as a result of ONLY private
initiative and you have my attention!  History so far
has supported my view hands down.

> In another email you dismiss Don Hillger's note
> about 425 mL bottles,
> because it is not "rational" metric. Yet, "rational"
> sizes have nothing to
> do with metric.

But oh yes they do!  It's actually at the very nerve
of what one can call TRUE metrication!

I'm a travelled man and outside of the US I cannot
find ANY examples of such stupidity when it comes to
"metric" sizes!  Nowhere will anyone find in the
*metric* world examples of metric industries using
such ridiculous package sizes!  It's just fact of
life.

It's true though that lately I have been finding some
odd examples here and there, but these are
*EXCEPTIONS*, Jim, NOT the norm!  It's critical that
you understand where I'm coming from.

The business of metrication (at least in MY book) MUST
involve a TOTAL change of mindset and framework.  To
me changes like 946 to 945, 473 to 475 and the likes
are stupid examples of soft metrication that
contributes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to what really matters:
*efficiency/effectiveness/optimization/etc*.

What I mean is most of us (at Least that's what I've
always believed has been the case here) seem to
support metrication on the basis of its not only
making sense but primarily and above all for the
advantages of its use.

Alas, how can such advantages be used at their fullest
when one comes up with such silly package sizes and
all?  What possible justification can one provide for
claiming that a 475 mL package size would be more
*efficient* or better than a 500 mL one???  What would
the public, for instance, as a stakeholder, win with
such unsightly sizes?  No one (not even me...  :-)  )
would be able to compare product prices across the
board with such mediocrity sizes around, unless one
carries his/her pocket calculators to a supermarket.

> I open my desk drawer and pull out four low-carb
> candy bars. They have all
> been purchased in the last few weeks, and they are
> labeled thusly:
>
>          Net Wt 1.4 oz (40g)
ok
>          Net Wt 0.9 oz (25g)
ok
>          Net Wt 1.58 oz (45g)
?  Stupid (please forgive me my language, but why not
50???)  Typical "metrication" (SIC) that conduces to
NOTHING!
>          Net Wt 2.11 oz (60g)
Fine, passable...

> Now, Marcus, you can be a pessimist if you want
> because they are not in
> your "rational" sizes (50 g?),

?  You sound like I've claimed rational to me is only
in primes of 10!  Who said that?  Certainly not me,
Jim!

I'm a fervent subscriber to the way the Germans do in
this regard.  ANY SIZE that cannot be resolved by one
or two (tops) simple ONE-digit calculations is
irrational!

Evidently, primes of 10 (1, 2 and 5) would be *ideal*,
but NOT necessarily the ONLY rational values (please
see YOUR own examples above which I ok'ed!).

> but the fact is clear
> to me that even
> consumer-product manufacturers ARE starting to move
> toward metric packaging
> in the USA.

How many examples have you and others been bringing
here, Jim?  Throughout the years one may probably
account for just some 5 or 6 per year!  But then
again, what about the *reversion* ones???

The Breyers example (and sometime ago the So Good
company, too) is just one typical, but VERY visible,
illustration of companies laboring in the wrong lane
of history and serve as a testimony to the fact that
at this rate one would see metrication take TOTAL hold
of the market in ... err... 1 000 years!...

> I have in the corner of my office a case of bottled
> water and another case
> of flavored water -- all in 500 mL sizes.

And I have countless commercial outlets here in Canada
where the 600 mL sizes have been replaced by the
ridiculous 710 mL and, worse, 591 mL sizes!!!

> Just this
> morning I had to find a
> screw to a Rival Crockpot handle that came off and
> went down the drain.
> Turns out it was an M6 screw.

Gee, Jim, ONE screw!...  :-S  Now how many screws do
you find in products around your house again, Jim?...

> Marcus, how far do we have to get before you admit
> to any progress?

Progress, Jim, is DOTs *firmly* going metric, NO
flip-flop, PERIOD.  Progress is the juice industry
embarking on a trend of abandoning mediocre 1.89 L,
473 mL in favor of 2 L, 500 mL and the likes (ok, I'll
take 1.75 mL if nothing else comes up...).  Progress
is 2 L *HOLDING* in the ice cream industry without
2-qt sizes EVER creeping back in.  Progress is media
people finally realizing the Olympic games ARE metric
and broadcast such events *100%* in metric.  Shall I
continue, my friend?...

In other words, until the public itself finally
realizes something is indeed going on NO progress can
be claimed to be taking place, that's the sad reality.
 Anything else is just plain simple illusion, man!

Marcus
PS: Nice debating with you again, Jim, I was starting
to miss our "heated" debates...  :-)

=====
Jesus ONLY settles for THE best, so
what excuse can you possibly give to NOT go SI???