Subject: [USMA:31078] RE: km/h on speedometers
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:16:56 -0600
From: "Hillger, Don" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

My understanding it that most, it not all, Canadian cars display both
km/h (in larger font) and MPH (in smaller font) on their speedometers,
in the reverse order of the U.S.  Not sure what their laws say, but they
do that to accommodate drivers who travel into the U.S. with their cars,
probably the same reason both units are universally displayed on U.S.
cars, for when they are driven into Canada.

With the new English/metric button system, that probably means that
Canadians can switch the speed display to MPH if they wish, but there's
not much incentive to do that with all the road signs in metric (just
like there's not much incentive to use the km/h units in the U.S.
without corresponding road signs).

On
> > Behalf
> > > Of Jason Darfus
> > > Sent: Friday, 2004 September 10 11:58
> > > To: U.S. Metric Association
> > > Subject: [USMA:31069] RE: km/h on speedometers
> > >
> > > All the current Cadillacs have MPH-only speedometers.  Go check
out
> > the
> > > interior photos at http://www.cadillac.com

> > both.

John Nichols
Assistant Professor
Texas A&M University, Department of Construction Science
Langford AC Rm: A414   MD 3137, College Station, TX 77843-3137

Nihil tam absurdum, qhod non dictum sit ab aliquo
There is nothing so absurd as not to have been said by a philosopher

-------Cicero

Electronic mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Telephone:         979 845 6541
Facsimile:          979 862 1572