>I think that the most stupid thing was having speed in mph and distances
>in km.  I reckon the survey would have yeilded much different results if
>both speed and distance were changed from one to another at the same
>time.

I doubt it (see more below). A two thirds majority is pretty definitive.
However, if the difference between speed/distance  was the main issue why was
there ABSOLUTELY NOBODY suggesting that distance signs be converted to miles ?

A quick look at the comments showed seven in favor of
the change, citing phrases like "up to date", "focused attention on
speeds", "I have never got the hang of the mile thing". Four referred to
the fact that it harmonized distance and speed, but that doesn't mean it is
the only reason they favored it.  Five were against it (one from England,
and one who signed himself "ex-USA").

It is interesting that the poll asked if it were "necessary", not whether
you supported the change.  One person said it was not necessary but it
was sensible (so maybe the result would have been more pro-metric if
"desirable" was used instead of "necessary").

Another thing was that one of the "yes" people said he supported it despite
being more fluent in miles.  Again, showing that asking people which they
are more comfortable in does not constitute a vote against changing it.

>Most people will have been against the mix of the two units, rather than
>being 'pro' or 'anti' the sort of unit used.

I don't think you can conclude that this from looking at all the comments.
Of the four people who mentioned the dual units:

a) also said "I have never got the hang of the mile thing".
b) also said "the reduction in the limit .. also seems a good thing"
c) also said "The metric system ... is practicable, unlike the old imperial
system.  How many of the mile sign defenders know how many rods [there are]
in a furlong?"

Only the fourth cited no other reason.  The above three would seem to have
favored the change even without the sign/speed disparity.  That makes one
out of seven being in favor *possibly* only because the distance signs were
different to the speed signs.

>I was very surprised by the comments though.  Didn't expect to see so
>much euroscepticism from Ireland.

A certain amount of scepticism is quite healthy.  There are many things about
the EU that I am sceptical about, but I would not favor withdrawing from it.
The difference here is that people don't end up supporting an obsolete legacy
from the middle ages just to spite the EU.

I also see that of the five negatives, three mentioned the EU.  One of
these (the one claiming "another plot by German/French eurocrats")  may not
have been entirely serious.  After all, he finishes by saying "It ain't
the speed that kills. It's the rapid decelleration [sic]".

Don't forget that the poll was a clear win for metric.

Tom Wade                 | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
EuroKom                  | Tel:   +353 (1) 296-9696
A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax:   +353 (1) 296-9697
Rathfarnham              | Disclaimer:  This is not a disclaimer
Dublin 14                | Tip:   "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
Ireland