>From the few cookbooks published for the international English-speaking audience, I noticed the 250 ml cup, and the 500g pound, but nothing like what you've seen with the ounces.  The books I have print dual-unit recipes, but expressly warn the cook to stick either to metric or Imperial measures.  And when you see 1 cup being called for on the Imperial side, the metric equivalent is always 250 ml.   So I'd say it's safe to say that internationally, at least in an informal sense, the cup is 250 ml.

Remek

On 11/17/05, john mercer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi The other day i phoned a local book store and asked if they had a copy of better homes and garden cook book in stock. I wanted to know if they had any metric info in the book. The person looked for me, i wanted to know how many ml's are in a cup and how many g in an oz. The book said that there are 250 ml's in a cup and 25 or 30 g in an oz. How can there be 2 different number of g in an oz? Is the 250 ml cup accepted around the world? Thanks for any info.