I watched the same show last night, and noticed what you did.  The narration completely sanitized the metric, but the board did speak for itself.

Remek

On 3/30/06, Hillger, Don <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I watched PBS Nova's The Great Robot Race the other night. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/darpa/program.html

Although there was no mention of metric usage in the show's narration that I remember, I did notice that the Red Army contenders were using meters per second in programming their vehicle speeds, as displayed on a board in their command center.  At one point there was a close up of that board, but no conversion or mention of those numbers.

So, in spite of the non-metric use in the narration, it was encouraging to see that behind the scenes that metric prevails.  This is another case where metric use is hidden from the public, whereas in other cases the units are hidden by conversion.

Don