If you check FMI's site, the list of their members includes most of the big boys of retail: Walmart, Kmart, Mejier, Kroger, Wegman's, etc.  I wonder who they really represent when they shoot down initiatives to amend the FPLA?  Is the small-business component of FMI that vocal?  FMI is certainly clueless as to the meaning of the FPLA amendment: voluntary and mandatory are not the same thing.  I wonder if it isn't just a group of anti-metric troublemakers within FMI who force through policy that does not benefit the big guys, or anyone else for that matter.

Did P&G really come out and state their support for metric labeling?  I was always under the impression that even the most obvioius metric supporters like them resorted to support by not opposing things like the FPLA amendment, but never actually endorsing any moves towards metric.  P&G would certainly be putting their money where their mouth is: more and more of their prodcts are showing up in hard metric sizes.

Equating metric with making America competitive can go a long way towards promoting metrication here.

Remek