Paul et al:

Unit pricing could be in either English or SI units regardless of how they are labeled. It's done by computer which computes and prints the shelf labels. So, SI labeling only should be no problem mechanically. It's getting consumers adjusted to it. However, back in the 1970s the head a national consumer organization said that UP in SI would not be much of a problem since consumers shop by comparing items and unit-prices.

Regards,  Stan Doore

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Hudnall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 11:48 AM
Subject: [USMA:38871] Re: the states united--a psychological barrier

I do believe that would require changing all the unit-pricing tags in stores to compare prices in metric :)

The current unit-price labels I've seen do not include any metric on them whatsoever, even for such obviously metric product as a 2 L soft drink. One would think that a 2 L soft drink would have a unit price listed as $/mL but the tags read $/fl oz.