From: Carleton MacDonald <carlet...@comcast.net>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Saturday, March 7, 2009 6:40:33 PM
Subject: [USMA:43467] Metric discussion on the railroad list (2)

The other discussion – from a good friend who lives in the UK east of London.

 As for ...

I'm curious if this is really true. An 85' car would be 25908 mm. A
59'-6" wheelbase would be 18135.6 mm. The 10'-6" overall width would
be 3200.4 mm.

=======

... somehow I doubt anybody would notice if an 85' car was 8mm shorter,
making an even 25.9m; or the wheelbase or car width 0.6mm or 0.4mm
shorter. In fact I suspect the latter two differences, less than the
thickness of a US dime, are well within normal tolerances for such
measurements. Don't they teach engineers anymore that it's foolish
to pretend to measure such things to five or six decimal places of
precision?

In any case, having had little time for All_Aboard of late, it's
good to see that the conversation is as relevant as ever to
passenger-rail advocacy.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON