Jerry said "If I stay away from gas stations and super markets and just drive
up and down motorways I may be convinced the UK is fully imperial"

Nah. There are signs every 100 m along UK motorway giving the distance from the
start point of the motorway in tenths of Kilometres.

If you saw a sign saying

108
  3
 ->

You would know that you were 108.3 km from the beginning of the motorway and
should follow the arrow to the nearest emergency phone.

There are larger signs on some motorways that have similar information. Here's
a link

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/indepth/mileagesigns/

Finally, there are signs that show what facilities are available at sevices..
These signs show the price of fuel at the filling stations at the services.

The price is shown in cost per litre.