And of you are the secretary of a committee and you name the files that hold
the minutes as minutes_2009-03-10.doc etc, they will always present
themselves in chronological order.

  _____

From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf
Of Bill Hooper
Sent: 10 March 2009 16:33
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:43638] Re: 24 hour time

On  Mar 10 , at 5:07 AM, David wrote:

I would like to see America start using DD/MM/YY instead of MM/DD/YY

I can't agree to that one.

The ISO preferred arrangement is

 YYYY-MM-DD

so that the numbers are in a logical progression from large to small, just
like our number system. (Also, in the ISO format the hyphen is used instead
of the slash).

Thus, just as the number

     7248 means

7 thousands plus

 2 hundreds plus

  4 tens plus

   8 units.

so also, the date

     2009-03-10 means

2009 years

   3 months and

      10 days

(possibly followed by hours, minutes and second, as needed thus:

2009-03-10 13:15:00)

Note, too, that a four digit year is used. The silliness of shortening the
year to just the last two digits has been amply shown by some of the
confusion that occurred when we went from the 1900's to the 2000's. Let's
not perpetuate the problem until we move into the 2100's.

(Aside:

The practice of shortening, say, 2009 to '09 reminds me of a question I
asked in grade school when my teacher was teaching us the abbreviations of
the months of the year. I asked her what the abbreviation for "May" was. She
told me, anyone who needs an abbreviation for "May" is simply too lazy to be
bothered with. So also I would say, anyone who feels the need to shorten
2009 to '09 is just too lazy to be bothered with.

end of aside)

I also agree with John Steele that, until there is some uniformity in usage
is obtained, substiting a three character alphabetic designation for the
month is desirable (even if not really standard). That, plus insistence on
using all four digits in the year, would make this:

   2009 Mar 10

impossible to misinterpret no matter what other format would be more
familiar to anyone.

Regards,

Bill Hooper

Fernandina Beach, Florida, USA