I Have never heard of it.

Having skimmed it, it seems willing to accomodate not only SI units, but also
Imperial, Customary, and any other units used widely enough.  Its main
orientation seems to be assigning a TLA (three letter acronym) to every unit so
it can be communicated by Telex (does anyone still use Telex?)

With the tables of interest removed from the ASCII copy, I have no clue if it
is reasonable.

The SI units have official symbols which I think are clearly preferable to
TLAs.  For the Customary units, we will probably arrogantly use our own
standard abbreviations (given in FPLA and UPLR), the rest of the world be
damned. :)

None of ours conflict with SI.  Brit use of "m" for miles is objectionable, but
I am not aware of other conflicts.  Certainly identification of US vs UK unit
(where a difference exists) could be important in the list.  Since the tables
are removed, I can't tell if this is achieved.