From: Pat Naughtin <pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com>
Subject: [USMA:44161] Re: smoots
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 3:44 PM

On 2009/03/28, at 10:44 PM, John M. Steele wrote:

I graduated from MIT a few years after Smoot.  All of my courses were taught
exclusively in SI, called rationalized mksa at the time.  When a rare Customary
units homework problem was thrown in the mix, the expected solution (required
for full credit) was to convert to metric, solve, convert the answer back to
Customary if the problem demanded.

Dear John,

This looks a lot like you are describing the approach taken by the Mars Climate
Orbiter teams at NASA in 1999. This is true except for the bit where you say,
'convert the answer back to Customary'. Go
to http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/msp98/news/mco991110.html where they say
'The 'root cause' of the loss of the spacecraft was the failed translation of
English units into metric units …'

However, please note that in reporting this, I am not in any way suggesting
that NASA should change to smoots for interplanetary navigation.

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin

PO Box 305 Belmont 3216,
Geelong, Australia
Phone: 61 3 5241 2008

Metric system consultant, writer, and speaker, Pat Naughtin, has helped
thousands of people and hundreds of companies upgrade to the modern metric
system smoothly, quickly, and so economically that they now save thousands each
year when buying, processing, or selling for their businesses. Pat provides
services and resources for many different trades, crafts, and professions for
commercial, industrial and government metrication leaders in Asia, Europe, and
in the USA. Pat's clients include the Australian Government, Google, NASA,
NIST, and the metric associations of Canada, the UK, and the USA.
See http://www.metricationmatters.com for more metrication information, contact
Pat at pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com or to get the free 'Metrication
matters' newsletter go to: http://www.metricationmatters.com/newsletter to
subscribe.