Stephen Humphreys said

"I tend to feel that people are inherently good, that a minority are bad.  I
also believe that we should come down heavy on anyone who is bad.  I also think
that if your bread and butter (does that translate to US?) relies on a good
reputation then you don't cheat your own customers."

If that is the case, will Stephen join me in condemning "Metric Martyr" Colin
Hunt, who (in addition to his convictions for using unstamped equipment) has
been convicted on numerous occasions for short-measuring his customers?

In addition, will he also join me in condemning Huddersfield market trader
David Murphy who was convicted of using inaccurate imperial scales to cheat his
customers?

Stephen Humphreys also said (my emphasis)

"Having said all that I do not see why that would be an issue if a shop
displays both imperial and metric "where it counts".  I say "where it counts"
meaning those areas where you actually do make a purchase based upon weight.
Most places show both in this case (eg Fruit, Veg. Deli, etc)."

One supermarket chain in the UK (Tesco) has dual markings on some goods sold
loose from bulk in the fruit & veg aisle. Examples would include loose potatoes
& loose bananas. Prepacked goods are generally marked in metric only (500g bags
of carrots, 1.5kg bags of potatoes etc) Other goods are sold by the unweighed
bunch (spring onions) or by number (lettuces priced "each" etc)

All in all, I would suggest that no more than a third of goods marked in a
Tesco fruit & veg aisle are dual marked - and that's in a big store with scales
at the checkout! My local Tesco has no scales, so there are no imperial
markings whatsoever at the fruit & veg aisle.

Now, Tesco have more imperial marking than anyone else. I've recently been in
Co-op, Sainsbury, Asda and Marks & Spencers fruit & veg aisles. They all mark
in metric only.

So how does Stephen come to his conclusion that "Most places" display F&V in
dual? Would it not be more honest to admit that he is really referring to one
supermarket chain?

With regard to dual pricing in Delis, Stephen is again referring to Tesco.
Tesco Delis do dual mark. Again, however, the Co-op & other supermarkets do not
dual mark, and every local independent deli in my local area uses metric only.

Stephen also said

"People select packed items based mainly on appearance.  Like cereals, bread,
etc.  The look and feel comes into play.  And if it does not what are you going
to do?  Empty some of the cornflakes out so it becomes XXX g or XX oz?  I know
that there needs to be weight markings on these items and for consistency I'd
probably prefer it to be dual but in reality it's there to meet legal
requirements - I've yet to hear someone actually go into Tesco to seek out
so-many-measures of biscuits, etc.   With the possible excpetion of "pints" of
milk and the "2 litre" pop bottles - they've almost become trade marks."

I note that Stephen has chosen examples of products (cereals, breads) that are
currently caught by UK Prescribed Quantities legislation.

Currently a UK loaf weighs 800g. That's the standard size. The legislation is
going to change very soon though.

Answer me this please Stephen. When prescribed quantities are abolished, how
are you going to tell the difference between 2 similar looking loaves (one
weighing a full 800g & one only weighing 700g) without looking at the weight
label? It's easy to make a large looking loaf full of air. Aren't you going to
buy the cheaper product if the 2 loaves look identical (apart from the weight
marking)

With regard to cereals, looking at the box size doesn't tell you very much at
all. We've all seen the "Contents will have settled during transportation"
warning. It's only the weight marking that gives us information regarding the
contents.

And why insist on dual marking? The goods are measured on metric equipment. Why
force manufacturers to mark additional unnecessary imperial information? If
there is demand for this dual marking, why do the vast majority of packers mark
metric only?