[USMA:44200] Re: the pub--ground zero for the metric system?
From:
"Carleton MacDonald" <carlet...@comcast.net>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:13:18 -0400
To:
U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>

Near the Washington National Cathedral are several restaurants.  Among them,
one is Mexican, another serves brick-oven pizza.  Both are excellent.

The draft beer at the Mexican restaurant comes in a larger glass than the pizza
place, and the price is lower.

Of course, XX and Tecate cost less than some yupscale German draft.

Carleton

From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf Of
John M. Steele
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2009 07:01
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:44179] Re: the pub--ground zero for the metric system?

I don't think Americans have nearly the attachment to the pint that Brits do.
Many bars only serve bottled beer, not draft.  It is served from a bottle or
can which by law must be marked in fluid ounces (usually 12) with optional,
supplemental metric permitted; this is unlike every other bottled beverage
where the net contents must be dual marked.

When draft beer is served, the serving size is not as standardized as in the
UK.  Each bar appears to set their own based on their glassware.  If you ask,
you may be given an answer in fluid ounces, but there is no particular
dedication to the number 16.  Some places serve draft in the same size glass
they give you with your bottle of beer; the full bottle usually does NOT fit.