Stephen said

"All the gas firms are private owned now and the likelyhood of them sending a
gasman out to take your readings let alone needlessly swap out working
machinery is next to zero."

Yet again, Stephen is pontificating on a subject on which he has no knowledge
whatsoever.

Personally, I'd rather believe BBC Watchdog. They say 1 million meters are
replaced yearly. Every meter that is replaced is replaced with a new metric
meter (not a dual meter as Steve has tried to suggest)

There are many potential reasons for replacing working meters. The most common
is when a gas supplier insists on replacing a normal meter with a "pay as you
go" meter due to their clients previous poor payment history. In today's
financial climate, I can see this becoming even more common.

Anyone that then purchases a house with a "pay as you go" meter is likely to
have their supplier switch it back to a normal meter, as PAYG is the most
expensive way to purchase gas. As I have said, all replacement meters are
calibrated in metric.

Gas meters have an average life of approx 20 years, so there will be imperial
meters around for some time to come, but their share of the market is
decreasing yearly.