From: Ken Cooper <k_cooper1...@yahoo.com>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:57:10 PM
Subject: [USMA:44810] RE: Stephen's meanderings on the topic of downsizing

Stephen said

"Although in the UK we're at least served draught measures of beer, cider etc
in pint glasses (as opposed to highly fractional amounts)."

Isn't 19/20ths (the average actual fraction of a pint served) a highly
fractional amount?

(Source: Various Trading Standards & Camra surveys stating that average serving
in a UK "pint" brim measure is 95%)

"If customers were served beer with a colossal head then that particular pub
would definitely lose customers via a similar backlash to the beer company
mentioned in Australia below"

If this statement is true, then why are the pubs that use pint line measures or
beer engines to deliver a full pint not the busiest in town? In addition, price
must surely have an effect too?

"I guess this sort of thing goes on in any aspect of measuring - even 'time'.
Recently I was charged 22.5 hours labour for work on my mini.  This particular
area is the hardest to complain about"

Why is "time" more difficult to complain about than (say) a delivery of petrol
(gas), or LPG or heating oil? In every case I describe, you cannot physically
see the goods being delivered into your fuel tank.

"In fact there's very little I can do to claim that less than 22..5 hours was
spent as it's not tangible enough."

Assuming that you were having a standard procedure done on your car, most
franchised garages charge by reference to the the standard recommended time in
the manufacturers specifications.

For example, if you were having a timing belt replaced and the mfrs specs said
it should take 90 minutes, you would be charged 1.5 hours regardless of whether
the mechanic actually took 110 minutes or 75 minutes. If you query the bill,
the garage is likely to refer you to these standards.

"Having said that - I'm trusting and believe that most are not out to get a
subtle extra out of everyone, although the sceptic in me always keeps me in
check"

Would you not consider that a "Metric Martyr" that deliberately breaches UK law
by using unstamped imperial equipment (like Colin Hunt) is more likely to be
willing to short-measure his customers?

(How many convictions for short measure has Hunt accumulated now btw? Has he
reached double figures yet?)

Although in the UK we're at least served draught measures of beer, cider etc in
pint glasses (as opposed to highly fractional amounts).  So, for example, if
customers were served beer with a colossal head (say, 500 ml + head) then that
particular pub would definitely lose customers via a similar backlash to the
beer company mentioned in Australia below.  And that's before the 'authorities'
catch them out at short serving.

I guess this sort of thing goes on in any aspect of measuring - even 'time'.
Recently I was charged 22.5 hours labour for work on my mini.  This particular
area is the hardest to complain about - ie I can't go to the counter and point
at the 'labour' and claim that it's less than 22.5 hours - infact there's very
little I can do to claim that less than 22.5 hours was spent as it's not
tangible enough.

Lesson learned on that one - get a cost up front (and not even an estimate).

Having said that - I'm trusting and believe that most are not out to get a
subtle extra out of everyone, although the sceptic in me always keeps me in
check (apart from in my example above!)