Cheers,

Pat Naughtin
Geelong, Australia

On 2009/04/25, at 4:47 PM, John Frewen-Lord wrote:

I agree with Jerry on this one. Both spellings are acceptable to me, but the -re spelling makes a bit more sense as a whole (and as Jerry points out harmonises with the rest of the world).

Still, I would suggest the -re spelling is acceptable in the US. I don't know about the latest editions, but my copy of ASTM E 621 - 84, Standard Practice for the Use of Metric (SI) Units in Building Design and Construction (Committee E-6 Supplement to E 380) uses the -re spelling throughout (see attached scan).

John F-L
----- Original Message -----
From: Jeremiah MacGregor
To: U.S. Metric Association
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2009 4:03 AM
Subject: [USMA:44833] Re: IEEE/ASTM SI-10

I can't believe the US is so arrogant that they have to make such an issue over spelling. I don't see why both ways can't be accepted. We use centre and theatre in the US, so why not litre and metre?

Maybe it is time for the US to adopt the ISO and IEC standards. Being different in a global market is the surest way to lose business. A bankrupt economy doesn't have the option to go against the grain. That is most likely the main reason the US is bankrupt.

Jerry