From: Ken Cooper <k_cooper1...@yahoo.com>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 1, 2009 3:28:37 PM
Subject: [USMA:44958] RE: FPLA 2010

Jerry

As I have already explained, all "supermarket" milk is packed & sold in metric
amounts. Is it really important whether that amount is a multiple of 500 ml or
of 568 ml?

I think that you mean to ask "what percentage of milk is packed & sold in
metric as compared to the percentage packed and sold in imperial"

If you look at Dairy UK's recent publication "The White Paper" (link to pdf
near bottom of this page
http://www.dairyuk.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=187&Itemid=270 )
 and go to page 35 of the document, you will see a graph entitled
 – Sales of Liquid Milk by Container Type (Retail)
It gives percentage figures for packaging types used for retail milk sales in
the UK. The current figures are

Plastic Container 81.9%
Carton 10.2%
Glass Bottle 7.9%

Only glass bottles are used for "milk in returnable containers"

This means that 92.1% of UK milk is packed in metric. Only 7.9% is packed in
imperial.