From: Pierre Abbat <p...@phma.optus.nu>
Subject: [USMA:45139] Re: News : ADOT defends replacing metric signs along I-19
: Nogales International : Nogales, AZ
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Date: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 1:19 AM

On Friday 29 May 2009 19:22:59 John M. Steele wrote:
> "Preferred" and 50 cents might buy you coffee.
>
> You need words like "these and no other" or one is "legal", the other is
> "illegal" to mean anything.

I think you misunderstood me. My point is not that the federal government
ought to abolish English units, or that it has not done so; it is that the
Arizona law violates the hierarchy established by the Constitution, which is
that powers not delegated to the federal government are retained by the
states or the people. Arizona therefore has the power to design and label
roads (except for "post Roads", which are within the power of the FG) in
metric, without waiting for the FG to mandate it, or for any other state to
do it first. And it ought to do so.

Pierre