Dear John,

To put your thoughts into context, you might like to consider some of the (rounded) values in this table:

Activity

Speed

(km/h)

Speed

(m/min)

Speed

(m/s)

Walking – slowly

4 km/h

60 m/min

1 m/s

Walking – briskly

6 km/h

100 m/min

1.7 m/s

Walking – march time

5 km/h

90 m/min

1.5 m/s

Jogging

15 km/h

240 m/min

4 m/s

Running

20 km/h

360 m/min

6 m/s

Sprinting (~world record)

36 km/h

600 m/min

10 m/s

Running rabbit

55 km/h

900 m/min

15 m/s

Falcon or raptor diving

70 km/h

1200 m/min

20 m/s

Highway

100 km/h

1667 m/min

27 m/s

Interstate highway

110 km/h

1833 m/min

31 m/s

Suburban street

60 km/h

1000 m/min

17 m/s

I particularly like the 'Brisk walk' figure of 100 metres per minute that could be useful on walking paths to give people a goal as they walk for fitness. To do this you need to place markers every 100 metres along a popular walking path. I have explored this further in the article: Walking for fitness that you can find at http://www.metricationmatters.com/docs/WalkingForFitness.pdf

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin
Author of the forthcoming book, Metrication Leaders Guide.
PO Box 305 Belmont 3216,
Geelong, Australia
Phone: 61 3 5241 2008

Metric system consultant, writer, and speaker, Pat Naughtin, has helped thousands of people and hundreds of companies upgrade to the modern metric system smoothly, quickly, and so economically that they now save thousands each year when buying, processing, or selling for their businesses. Pat provides services and resources for many different trades, crafts, and professions for commercial, industrial and government metrication leaders in Asia, Europe, and in the USA. Pat's clients include the Australian Government, Google, NASA, NIST, and the metric associations of Canada, the UK, and the USA. See http://www.metricationmatters.com for more metrication information, contact Pat at pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com or to get the free 'Metrication matters' newsletter go to: http://www.metricationmatters.com/newsletter to subscribe.