Well said, my thoughts too. Lets concentrate on conversion issues that
can make sense to the general public. Telling them they have to go
metric and on top of that now have to plan trips in meters per second
vs. something more akin to what they are used to would be more of a
disaster than a help. Golf and football in the US will still be in yards
no matter how metric we are.
--

"Go for a Metric America"
Howard Ressel

<70909.56827...@web82401.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, "John M. Steele"
<jmsteele9...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I believe the reverse is true.  I believe the SI Brochure has
embraced the
> idea that certain commercial situations and everyday life are so
committed to
> some special units that it is senseless to attempt change.  These
include the
> liter, metric ton, hectare, minute, hour, and day (they did kiss the
stere
> goodbye).
>
> We should not change for change's sake, we should change to solve
problems.
> So, before we can discuss change, can we define the "problem" of
people using
> km/h in everyday life?  It seems like it is  . . . ., Well, what is
it?  I
> don't know.
>
> Engineers need to know they need pure base units for calculation, but
they
> already know this.  In everyday life, few people do such
calculations.
> Mostly, they want an estimate of how long it will take to get
somewhere.
> While they could probably convert the kilometers to meters, they
frankly
> don't want the answer in seconds (except possibly in a race).
>
> Cars haven't been around the whole time, but in over 200 years,
metric
> countries seem to have gravitated universally towards kilometers per
hour for
> boats, trains, cars, planes, and no country sets m/s speed limits or
marks
> speedometers thusly.  In countries not already metric, such a
proposal would
> simply add to any existing "the metric system is inconvenient"
sentiment.  I
> don't think it would be well-received in metric countries either.
Why rock

<pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com> wrote:

> From: Pat Naughtin <pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com>
> Subject: [USMA:45365] Speed in metres per second
> To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
> Date: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 8:47 PM
>

> I wonder if we will ever be ready to embrace the idea of using the SI
unit,
> metres per second, for speed in everyday conversations.
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
X-GWTYPE:USER
FN:Ressel, Howard
TEL;WORK:585-272-3372
ORG:;403-Design
EMAIL;WORK;PREF;NGW:hres...@dot.state.ny.us
N:Ressel;Howard
ADR;DOM;WORK;PARCEL;POSTAL:;403;1530 Jefferson Road;Rochester;;14623
LABEL;DOM;WORK;PARCEL;POSTAL;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Ressel, Howard=0A=
403=0A=
1530 Jefferson Road=0A=
Rochester  14623
END:VCARD