  From: Pat Naughtin
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:06 AM
  Subject: [USMA:45394] Isaac Newton – birth mass

  On 2009/07/16, at 7:22 AM, Bill Potts wrote:

    O.K., Stan, how do you put a 50 m insert in a 50 yard pool?

    Reminds me of the old expression about putting a quart in a pint pot.

    Bill

  Dear Bill and Stan,

  Your reference to the old – now out-dated – pints and quarts reminded me of a
reference to the birth of Isaac Newton. It is said that when he was born
prematurely he  wasn’t expected to live because he was too small. The
expression at the time was that he would fit inside a quart pot. See:
http://space.about.com/cs/astronomyhistory/a/isaacnewtonbio.htm and
http://www.lycos.com/info/isaac-newton--woolsthorpe-manor.html for details of
Isaac Newton's early life.

  As a quart was roughly the same size as a litre we can guess that his birth
mass must have been close to 1000 grams – or perhaps even less than this – to
fit into a litre container.

  I suppose that you could compare Isaac Newton with the world record small
baby. At 260 grams, this baby would go close to fitting into a standard 250
millilitre kitchen cup. See
http://news.dcealumni.com/214/1002-worlds-smallest-baby-sent-home

  By the way, my rule of thumb for babies is:

  Normal baby 3500 grams
  Small baby 2500 grams
  Big baby 4500 grams

  Cheers,

  Pat Naughtin
  Author of the forthcoming book, Metrication Leaders Guide.
  PO Box 305 Belmont 3216,
  Geelong, Australia
  Phone: 61 3 5241 2008

  Metric system consultant, writer, and speaker, Pat Naughtin, has helped
thousands of people and hundreds of companies upgrade to the modern metric
system smoothly, quickly, and so economically that they now save thousands each
year when buying, processing, or selling for their businesses. Pat provides
services and resources for many different trades, crafts, and professions for
commercial, industrial and government metrication leaders in Asia, Europe, and
in the USA. Pat's clients include the Australian Government, Google, NASA,
NIST, and the metric associations of Canada, the UK, and the USA. See
http://www.metricationmatters.com for more metrication information, contact Pat
at pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com or to get the free 'Metrication matters'