Thanks Pat for the article reference.
    The excerpt below from the article summarizes height measurement issues.
    In this age of technology, especially in clinics and hospitals,
measurements for height and time of observation can easily be incorporated in
weight scales and, readouts/printouts or data can be sent automatically to the
patient's automated records.
    This standardization would eliminate differences in technician measurement
procedures and would speed taking measurements and record-keeping while
reducing the number of errors.
    Clinic and hospital record-keeping now is highly automated in many places
and automation is becoming more widespread.  So why complicate record keeping
with a unit which requires a decimal point?   Use of millimeters is still the
most straight forward for height as decimal points are not needed.  Millimeters
are and should be used for other parts of the human body.  So use millimeters
for height.
    Exercise machines already have various types of electronic readouts so
including automated height with weight measurements in scales should not be a
problem.  Many scales already have electronic displays.  This would eliminate
discrepancies and provide consistency as well as improved accuracy.
  Time of measurement could be included to address the issues mentioned in the
article.  This approach to measurement also would lend itself for research
purposes.  Be consistent.
    Pat, your use of the word "clumsily" summarizes the issue and my point very
well.
Stan Doore

    "These observations must have implications in the interpretation of serial
height measurements of children. In theory, observations should be undertaken
at approximately the same time of day and following a similar pattem of
activity, but certainly not immediately after getting out of bed. In the clinic
these circumstances frequently apply, but when this is not the case the
possibility of an error due to this variation, and not necessarily to accuracy
of measurement, should be considered."