  From: Stan Jakuba
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 10:39 AM
  Subject: [USMA:45477] Re: centimetre versus metre

  This is an old posting. It relates to the mm, cm. It said:

      Any manufactured product made anywhere is first portrayed on an
engineering drawing. This can be one drawing, such as for a pin, or a million
of them together portraying the individual parts, subassemblies, and assemblies
of a complex machine or building. The skill of a drawing making is called
drafting. Individual companies in the past had their own drafting language, and
one learned it upon joining the firm. I should ad that the language includes,
besides dimensions, a plethora of symbols that convey information not only to
manufacturing but also quality control, assembly, etc. People in need of
reading drawings go for weeks long training, people who draw them go to years
long training and the key people - design engineers - spend years in design and
drafting training/schooling.
      Today, with global industrialization, the differences among the languages
would be a barrier to communication. Thus soon industries, then countries,
developed what is today the ISO series of drafting standards (128, 129, 406,
1302, 2553, 2768, 3040, 4063 .....). When ISO became in 1947, the mm was
already firmly established as the ONLY "unit length" to be used on mechanical,
chemical, electrical ..... drawings, the stronghold of opposition, the civil
engineering, yielding to the mm a generation later.
  It seems to me that the Australian companies that failed with the cm failed
not only because of the wrong "unit length" but also because of ignorance or
stupidity (or both). Debating this point among us is somewhat similar - we
mostly comment on what the retailers elect to show on whatever they sell, and
that may very well be arbitrary and changing next week.
      There is no such thing as the "rule of 1000." There simply are prefixes
that mostly go by 1000, and that reflects, in our individual languages,
thousand, million, billion, trillion, ..... millionth, ....... Existence of
these "thousand" numbers does not prevent us from using also ten and hundred or
hundredth if there is not an established practice that forbids it. The same
with all prefixes. The established practices differ around the world.
  Stan Jakuba