Jim et al:
You are correct Jim. I was thinking of safety and minimizing errors in hospitals and medicine where accuracy and readability are critical and technical documentation are important when I recommended the use of mm instead of the cm with decimal points. From your comment, apparently this is not a problem and therefore, I concede to using whatever SI prefixes you may wish without standardizing on a single SI length unit in medicine.
   Stan Doore

----- Original Message ----- From: "James R. Frysinger" <j...@metricmethods.com>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 1:33 PM
Subject: [USMA:45495] Re: centimetres vs millimetres

Again, that might be important to you, Stan, especially in technical
situations.

But John and Jane Public might prefer to think in centimeters and should
be allowed to do so without getting any grief over that. They don't need
to be told that they are "doing it wrong" when using the SI this way.

When I teach the SI, I emphasize that folks are free to use the prefixes
that they are most comfortable to using in any given situation, but I
bear down to make sure they can rescale from one prefix to another.

How about we concentrate on getting all the folks to use metric units
all the time? Once everyone is thereby "near perfect", we can niggle
about rascally details about "preferred" prefixes!

Jim

If the cm requires a decimal point for more precision beyond 10 cm length, then mm is more practical and less confusing since it would not require a decimal point, e.g 19.5 cm = 195 mm. In any case, mm normally would be used in most cases for lengths less than 10 cm.