I have often wondered what measurement system was used in Hawaii before it became a US State in the early 1960s. Does anyone know?

John F-L

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nat Hager III" <neha...@msi-sensing.com>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Cc: "Nat Hager" <neha...@vzw.blackberry.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:31 PM
Subject: [USMA:45599] Hawaii metric

Back in June I got stuck with the dirty job of having to attend an NSF
grantees conference, in of all places, Honolulu. So I managed, particularly
considering it was being paid for out of the grant.

When the conference was over I was stuck in Honolulu on a Thursday night,
with not much on the calendar for the following week as it was a short week
due to 4th July.  So I made the best of a bad situation, and spent a few
days on the Big Island, Maui, and Kauai. <g>

In the course of the week I noticed a lot of metric road signs, which I've
attached.  More general pictures are at

http://www.win.net/dorsea/nehager

follow the obvious links.

Nat