  From: Stan Jakuba
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Cc: Robert Bryce
  Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 3:19 PM
  Subject: [USMA:45862] Re: Can journalists be cured of their affliction?

  Pat:
  The terminology between the US and AU may be getting us into trouble. In the
U.S., nobody calls electricity generating facilities anything but POWER PLANTS.
What do they call them Down Under?

  I hate the term "power plant" but my "electricity generating facility" is
awkward. Besides, power plants deliver sometimes also heat.  Thus "electricity
(and heat where applicable) delivering facilities"? Notice that "generating"
electricity (a form of energy) is not possible in the sense that energy cannot
be created nor destroyed. Thus the ".... delivering facility"? :-)

  Unfortunately for our energy/power clarification effort, the term "power
plant" is correct. This is why: One delivers energy to the plant (a pile of
coal, water behind a dam, etc.) and the plant delivers power from it. In other
words, the plant makes the energy flow, and that flow is power. To illustrate,
the energy in the coal does absolutely nothing. It did nothing for gazillion
years (thanks God, that's why we still have it today). The energy in it, in the
coal case the heat of combustion, is irrelevant until a plant makes it flow,
i.e. burning it making power. Or the valve in the dam allowing the water flow =
power is then being delivered.

  The problem lies in the term "power" being synonymous with "electricity" (not
"energy") in the U.S. Rate payers pay for the amount of electricity billed but
most U.S. call it paying for "power." How is that terminology treated Down
Under?"

  So, you see, I had used the Americanism - power plant - because the term is
familiar to most on this forum, and because the "power" is correct according to
physics, and also because it is brief. The only specification that is needed
concerns: What kind of power? - electrical or heating or both?

  <I agree that this is done at a particular rate (of power)> -- You mean rate
"of energy." Power is (time) rate of energy.
  Stan