  From: John M. Steele
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:44 PM
  Subject: [USMA:46330] Re: 144 years to go....

  The army uses the Military Grid Reference System (as does NATO) which is a
UTM projection using metric grid.  Assuming the bad guys are ex-military gone
mercenary, this situation would exist today.  MGRS is also the basis of US
National Grid (USNG) which the Feds are trying to teach at least to first
responders as a universal mapping system, in case they are deployed to areas
they are not familiar with (forest fires, hurricanes, etc).

  For those not familiar with it, navigation within 100 km squares is in meters
of easting and northing from SW corner, identical to UK Ordnance Survey.
Because we are a bigger country, the designation and tiling of 100 km squares
is a little different to cover the larger area.