  From: ezra.steinb...@comcast.net
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:42 AM
  Subject: [USMA:46373] The Ultimate Muddle

  Our friends over at the UKMA have referred to the strange mixture of units
used these days in the UK as the "metric muddle".

  Tonight I was listening to "As It Happens" from the CBC (Canadian
Broadcasting Corporation) and heard them interviewing the world's gravy
wrestling champion. This chap is actually a barrister from Leicestershire who
participates in a wide variety of odd sporting "events" to raise money for
charities.

  His usage of measurement units turned out to be the quintessential metric
muddle: diameter of the wrestling ring given in meters, height of the wrestlers
given in feet and inches, weight of the wrestlers given in stones, running
distance (for another event he participates in) given in kilometers, and the
location of his home town from London (when asked by the interviewer for the
benefit of Canadian listeners) in miles. How is anyone supposed to make any
sense of all that?

  Oddly enough, once the interview had ended, the interviewer translated the
distance Leicestershire is from London from miles to kilometers (pronounced
KILL-oh-meters, which I liked  :-)

  Go figure!

  Cheers,
  Ezra