How can discussing all aspects of measurements (which will include different
measuring 'systems') damage metric?  How patronising! Like metric isn't
'strong' enough to be discussed in the same arena as imperial?  Now *that* is
anti-metric. There has to be a degree of opposing opinion for a debate to carry
weight (ahem)- but then in JPS's world there is no room for opinion or
independent thought.  Yes - I know I should have 'left this one well alone' but
quite seriously how on earth can anyone promoting the metric tolerate such guff
that belittles that very same system?
The discussion was regarding people quoting there height and weight - to
suggest anything other than what I mentioned would mean making it up.  If you
think the truth hurts then don't get involved.
To counter my claims (actually to accompany them) in a more metricentric way
people quote engine sizes such as 'one point eight' for 1.8L.  In the cold
people might say 'it's zero out there' or perhaps 'The forecast says it will
barely reach 5 degrees tomorrow'.  Sometimes it happens in the heat, ie,
although it's common to hear people talk about it being '85 degrees' it's also
increasingly common to hear terms such as it being '30 out there'. because of
our temperature range in the UK we instantly know which unit to use.
Finally - although we 'sort of' know that the medical community use kg I was at
hospital today where my son was having an operation.  When he was weighed he
was quoted as '10 point <something>'.  Pounds?  Way too small.  Stone?  I think
not!  however no unit was mentioned.  NB. I have not raised this aspect in any
of my posts until now as I was sh*t scared of this day coming! (some
contributors knew about it via 'off the listserv' messages).
So it does happen - unit-less metric usage.  Just not so common on the personal
stats stuff.

P.S. See how he mistakes a quote character for 'feet'?  - " 'it took 4 minutes
20' ".
(It took 4 minutes 20 feet?  dear oh dear)