Paul:

I can't believe what you said in your third sentence - it was tongue-in-cheek,
right?

This of course is the old argument that has been used over and over again by
opponents of converting to metric speed limits - it will be too
dangerous/confusing/hazardous, etc.

All wrong, of course.  I cannot speak for Australia or other countries that
converted, but I was in Canada when it converted - and NOTHING HAPPENED.  Over
the 1977 Labour Day weekend, one night (Saturday night if I recall correctly)
when we went to bed the speed limit signs were in mph.  The next morning, they
were all - and I mean ALL (bar some remote back roads) - in km/h.  We all
simply accepted it and adjusted accordingly and immediately - and back then our
cars didn't have dual marked speedometers like today (well, one of mine did - a
Saab 99, but that was very much the exception).

Various solutions to that were devised - little stick-on numbers over your
speedometer was the most popular solution, but I remember things like little
gearboxes that you could insert between the speedometer cable and the
speedometer head, so that when your speedometer read '60', it now meant 60
km/h, not its previous 60 mph.  Screwed up the odometer reading though.....

The accident rate didn't budge - just continued on its steadily downward trend
without a blip.

The UK mess is because the road signs AREN'T in km/h - about the only aspect of
British life that is stuck in a previous century (that and buying draft beer in
a pub).

John F-L