My reading of the various bits of UK legislation is that the UK is an
exceptional country - there seem to be exceptions for everything.

Firstly we have the EU directive which permits miles, yards, feet and inches
on road signs and distances in all member states that were using them in
1972. That also includes the Republic of Ireland, Malta and Cyprus.  The RoI
has chosen to abandon imperial units in the last few years while Malta and
Cyprus did so well before they even thought of joining the EU.

Northern Ireland has its own parliament (Stormont) who has virtual complete
autonomy in this respect provided that they observe their EU obligations -
although the UK Government has to give a reason why they see fit to overrule
Stormont.  Britain (as opposed to the United Kingdom) has not outlawed
metric units for distances - they just have not permitted them. Scotland has
its own parliament who can authorize metric distances but not speeds on
their roads.  The Welsh assembly has similar powers.

To add to the confusion, Britain has two Overseas Territories (Gibraltar
which is administered by the Ministry of Defence) and a military area in
Cyprus) and in addition there are the Crown Dependencies in Europe (which
are independent of the UK, but are part of the Queen's domains) - Jersey,
Guernsey and the Isle of Man.  These five territories have freedom to choose
metric or imperial units.  Gibraltar and the army bases in Cyprus use metric
units - the others use imperial units.

And you guys thought that the status of Puerto Rico was complex?

  _____