Dear Pat,

Yes, ISO/IEC 80000 is the successor to ISO 31. Like its predecessor it comprises over a dozen parts. This new standard is nearly complete now and ISO 31 is close to being completely obsolete.

IEEE Standards Coordinating Committee 14 (SCC 14) is developing a parallel standard which will be known as IEEE Std 80000. Whereas ISO/IEC 80000 is a dual language document (French and English) similar to ISO 31, IEEE Std 80000 will be in English only. Also, American language spellings will be used and the period, not the comma, will be used for the decimal marker. We will make other, minor changes as well. See USMA's "Metric Today" on this.

Members of SCC 14 serve as the U.S. Technical Advisory Group (TAG) to the committees ISO/TC 12 and IEC/TC 25 that are working on the development of ISO/IEC 80000. Thus we are in good position to develop IEEE Std 80000. We will put our standard up to ANSI to make it an American National Standard. Ambler Thompson (NIST) chairs the U.S. TAG as well as being the Vice Chair of SCC 14 and the Chair of our 80000 Working Group.

Jim Frysinger
Chair, IEEE SCC 14

Pat Naughtin wrote:
Dear Jim,

Do you know what ISO 80 000 is? Is it a direct replacement for ISO 31?

See http://groups.google.com/group/misc.metric-system/browse_thread/thread/538e265104bf9338?hl=en for some discussion of these documents.

Cheers,
Pat Naughtin Author of the ebook, /Metrication Leaders Guide,/ see http://metricationmatters.com/MetricationLeadersGuideInfo.html Hear Pat speak at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lshRAPvPZY PO Box 305 Belmont 3216,
Geelong, Australia
Phone: 61 3 5241 2008

Metric system consultant, writer, and speaker, Pat Naughtin, has helped thousands of people and hundreds of companies upgrade to the modern metric system smoothly, quickly, and so economically that they now save thousands each year when buying, processing, or selling for their businesses. Pat provides services and resources for many different trades, crafts, and professions for commercial, industrial and government metrication leaders in Asia, Europe, and in the USA. Pat's clients include the Australian Government, Google, NASA, NIST, and the metric associations of Canada, the UK, and the USA. See http://www.metricationmatters.com <http://www.metricationmatters.com/>for more metrication information, contact Pat at pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com <mailto:pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com> or to get the free '/Metrication matters/' newsletter go to: http://www.metricationmatters.com/newsletter to subscribe.

--
James R. Frysinger
632 Stony Point Mountain Road

(C) 931.212.0267