Many of you will have read my somewhat sarcastic (or satiric, depending on your
point of view!) letter to Philip Hammond (see Pat Naughtin's Metrication
Matters 86 for the full text), regarding his proposal to phase out use of
metric measures in the UK DoT.  I have received a reply from Judith Tracey (not
sure who she is), the text of which is as follows:

Thank you for your letter of 9 June, addressed to Phillip Hammond, which has
been passed to me to reply.
I have noted the comments that you have made and with regard to the Secretary
of State proposing to ban all metric movements [sic] from our road
transportation, I would like to reassure you that this is not the case.
As you are aware from previous correspondence on this subject, the use of
metric units for traffic signs is controlled by the Traffic Signs Regulations
and General Directions 2002 (TSRGD) (SI 2002 No. 3113); it would be unlawful
for any highway authority to use metric units in defiance of the Regulations.
However, with regard to dimensional traffic signs, we recently consulted on a
package of amendment regulations to the TSRGD. That consultation closed on 24
December 2009. These included proposals to phase out, by April 2016, all
imperial only height and width limit traffic signs. These proposals are in
direct response to a known problem of bridge strikes. We have considered all
the coming months.

So - not really sure what changes, if anything.  Certainly, it contributes to
this Very British Mess - i.e. to acknowledge that metric measures are needed on
road signs, yet to make them unlawful!

Only in Britain....

John F-L