  From: Martin Vlietstra
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2010 7:17 AM
  Subject: [USMA:48498] Re: So What Does the AP Stylebook Really Say

  John,

  In many ways I would give equal weight to Australian and American
publications.  The US is a much larger country (population-wise) that Australia
and is therefore the home of much original thinking.  However, being so large,
it is difficult for ideas from outside the US to penetrate the US.  Australia,
on the other hand, is a well developed, first-world country, but being
relatively small, needs to import a large number of ideas - the result is that
she will import the best, be they American, British, German etc.

  That is not to say that the Aussies import all their ideas - they are, as far
as I know, leading the development of one of the proposals for the new kilogram
- the sphere of silicon.