May I add something to this from both the Canadian and British perspectives.

I, including family members, owned something like 30 ot 40 vehicles in the
period from 1977 to 1999 in Canada.  Plus I drove/rented, or was driven in,
countless others, in the USA and Canada (and Mexico - scary driving there, but
I did drive from Mexico City to Peublo).  Not one car, so far as I can recall
(and I always looked for this), had an incorrect km/h marking, whether the
metric scale was primary (Canada and Mexico) or secondary (USA).  And of course
I have rented cars in very many other countries (Panama and Honduras in Central
America, almost every country in Western Europe, Australia, South Africa,
Republic of Ireland and Malaysia, and probably other places I have forgotten
about, and never once did I see anything other than the correct 'km/h'.  The
only time I have seen anything incorrect - KM/H - was in one of the hundreds of
cars I have sat in at the various Toronto and London motor shows I have
attended over the past 30 years (I think it was a Rover 75 back in around 2003
or 2004, but can't be sure).

Here in the UK, the cars I and my other half have owned have all had the
secondary km/h scale correctly marked.  Having said that, the metric scale on
my 2007 Citroen C5 is difficult to read in daylight and utterly illegible at
night (red numbers on a grey background, lit by orange lighting - the orange
lighting turns the grey to red and simply washes out the red numbers; the
primary scale with white numbers is fine, so it looks like the km/h numbers
were almost an afterthought).  My other half's Citroen C2 has an LCD digital
speedometer (ugh!), which reads only in mph (UK default), but can be changed
using the car's computer and the computer reset button to metric values,
including 'km/h' (again correctly marked, as one would expect).  But it is an
either-or choice, you cannot have both displayed at once.

Some trivia on car speedometer markings:
A SAAB 99 I had in 1975 in Canada had a secondary metric scale, almost unknown
back then.  Whether unique to Canada (and possibly Britain), or whether USA
models also had it, I don't know.
My 1988 Canadian-spec Jeep Cherokee had a metric only speedometer.  In 1992 I
traded this in for another Cherokee - which had a dual marked scale
(metric-predominant of course).
In 2002, I was driven in Holland by a Dutch friend who also had a Cherokee -
and this had the same dual marked scale as my 1992 model!  Bizarre, especially
for a vehicle destined for mainland Europe.
In Canada, many of the mainstream European manufacturers (SAAB, Audi, BMW, etc)
are still producing cars with metric only speedometers, although Volkswagen and
Mercedes I believe are now dual marked.
Again in Canada, all the Japanese and Korean manufacturers dual mark their
speedometers (but nothing else to the best of my knowledge - fuel in liters,
temperature in degrees Celsius, tire pressures in kilopascals, odometers in
kilometers).  Japanese and Korean cars outside of Canada will have metric only
speedometers.

Regards

John F-L