It's a good article Pat in the link you provided, and perhaps I can add a
couple of (anecdotal) items supporting your premise:

1.  Canadian architects and engineers that I worked with would openly quote two
fee schedules for routine activities such as preparing shop or detail drawings,
one for metric, one for imperial.  The fee schedule for imperial would be
anywhere from 10% to 15% higher, reflecting the extra work involved

2.  For a time in the late 1970s and into the 1980s, Canadian producers of
plywood and gypsum wallboard maintained two production lines - imperial (4ft x
8ft) for the USA (their major export market) and metric (2400 mm x 4800 mm) for
the Canadian domestic market.  It proved too expensive, as the Canadian metric
market was a small fraction of the huge USA export market.  Consequently, most
metric sizes of these panels have diappeared, even for the Canadian metric
market.  But it does highlight the expense of maintaining production lines in
two measurement systems.

As Canada is now catering ever more to the (metric) world market (because of
the downturn in the US market for construction materials), and more and more
producers abandoning the imperial USA market, there will be less competition
within the USA, and prices (and hence costs) will increase for American
purchasers of construction services and products.  I don't whether it is
possible to measure such increases - but they are, or will be, very real,
thereby making America ever less competitive in the world.

John F-L