Dear Peter,

I have just read and enjoyed your article, "Taking the measure of metric" that
I read at
http://pressrepublican.com/0205_columns/x879865848/Taking-the-measure-of-metric

As I read a few thoughts came to my mind:

Snow varies a lot in its density but, as a rule of thumb, some meteorologists
say that 1 centimetre of snow is approximately equivalent to 1 millimetre of
rain. Using the second figure you know that 1 millimetre of rain on 1 square
metre of roof will put 1 litre of water into a rainwater tank. At our house I
have 200 square metres of roof so (say) 8 millimetres of rain gives us 1600
litres of water in our tank.

You wrote:
Oddly enough, here we are well into the 21st century, and you have a nation
born of revolution against the British monarchy using the imperial system, and
a country still constitutionally clinging to Mother England measuring stuff
with a system the arose out of the French Revolution.

This is particularly interesting to me because my research tells me that these
ideas are repeated over and over again until the point where they are almost
universally believed.

I think the truth is that the original idea of a "universal measure" that
became the metric system was invented in England by Bishop John Wilkins in
1668. See http://www.metricationmatters.com/who-invented-the-metric-system.html

However, nothing came of Wilkins' invention until it was rediscovered by Thomas
Jefferson who incorporated the decimal ideas firstly into his work as a
surveyor; secondly into the decimal currency of the USA (helped by Benjamin
Franklin and George Washington); thirdly into a 1790 report to Congress
advocating a complete decimal measurement system for the USA; and fourthly,
when Jefferson was ambassador to France in the late 1780s, as a component of
the French "decimal metric system" that was made legal in France in 1795. Of
the components of the "decimal metric system": the "decimal" component was from
the USA; the "metric" part was from France; and the "system" design came from
Bishop Wilkins in England. See
http://metricationmatters.com/docs/USAMetricSystemHistory.pdf

You write about:
… a nation fond of its folksy feet, pounds and gallons into a sleek and precise
European model of metres and litres.

It is my experience that the people who resist the metric system are not doing
so because they want to protect the old pre-metric measures. Truth be known
they barely understood them either. What they are trying to protect are the old
words and their use as a jargon to introduce newbies into their particular
activities. As an example, the Australian horse racing industry was one of the
first to upgrade to the metric system in 1972. Horse races have been completely
metric for 38 years but the trainers, jockeys, and gamblers simply shifted the
word, furlong, to mean 200 metres and the word, mile, to mean 1600 metres.

The key is language preservation not measurement retention. You can see this in
the UK and in the USA particularly in the UK where they almost completed their
metrication upgrade when Margaret Thatcher felt an election coming on. Her
response was to "save the mile and the pint for Britain", which she did by
insisting that road signs could have miles and that pub pints could be ordered
in pints. The net result is that road engineers build roads in metric then
erect signs marked in miles; publicans serve beer in pint glasses if filled to
the brim, but accept the fact that they only need 500 millilitres of beer with
the rest as froth. The mile and the pint are, of course officially defined in
the UK as metric units (1.609 344 kilometres = 1 mile and 568.3 millilitres = 1
pint)

Thanks again for your article. I was unaware of the politics in Canada at that
time so you have helped plug a gap in my knowledge.

Finally, just for fun, I don't think it is possible to go for a day in either
the UK or the USA without using the metric system. Start at
http://www.metricationmatters.com/docs/DontUseMetric.pdf and see how long you
last.

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin LCAMS
Author of the ebook, Metrication Leaders Guide, see
http://metricationmatters.com/MetricationLeadersGuideInfo.html
Hear Pat speak at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lshRAPvPZY
PO Box 305 Belmont 3216,
Geelong, Australia
Phone: 61 3 5241 2008

Metric system consultant, writer, and speaker, Pat Naughtin, has helped
thousands of people and hundreds of companies upgrade to the modern metric
system smoothly, quickly, and so economically that they now save thousands each
year when buying, processing, or selling for their businesses. Pat provides
services and resources for many different trades, crafts, and professions for
commercial, industrial and government metrication leaders in Asia, Europe, and
in the USA. Pat's clients include the Australian Government, Google, NASA,
NIST, and the metric associations of Canada, the UK, and the USA. See
http://www.metricationmatters.com for more metrication information, contact Pat
at pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com or to get the free 'Metrication matters'