I assume John your 3x5 card is - cm (a bit small), mm (way too small), meters
(way too big)?  You wouldn't be using any other measurement units, would you?

John F-L
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John M. Steele
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2011 8:24 PM
  Subject: [USMA:49402] Re: powers of ten--becoming an exponent proponent

  Interesting.

  I am not advocating html and I agree it often has problems.  I do use what
symbols I can from CharacterMap (I have a 3x5 card full of alt-codes for the
ones I use).  I reluctantly accept cm2, only because the number applies to a
unit symbol and can't be mistaken.  In the absence of real superscripts, I
think caret (^) notation is better, cm^2.  It is certainly better for powers of
10; 10^80 is clear, 1080 is meaningless.