From: Pat Naughtin <pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Mon, January 10, 2011 4:56:47 PM
Subject: [USMA:49467] Re: Btu

Dear Robert,

Thanks for the list.

Are all the old measuring words used by ASHRAE really metric measuring words in
disguise. For example, I think it is likely that, for the first three, they are
using: the metric foot of 1959; the metric inch of 1959; the metric square
footage of 1959?

After that I am in doubt. Is the "R value" really a metric value? I the metric
kBtu really a simple multiple of a kilojoule? And so on for the rest.

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin
Geelong, Australia

On 2011/01/11, at 08:30 , Robert H. Bushnell wrote:

2011 Jan 10
>Some time ago somebody asked "who needs Btu?"
>
>One answer is ASHRAE for it's publication High Performance Buildings.
>
>I asked them to use SI.  They said no.  Their readers are builders
>and maintenance people who want to see inch-pound units.
>The units used are:
>ft
>in
>square footage
>R value
>kBtu
>kBtu/ft^2
>heating degree days
>degree F
>therm
>gallon
>kWh
>gallon
>W/ft^2
>MMBtu
>cfm
>cfm/ft^2
>acre
>lb
>kcf
>lb
>mile
>mpg
>ton (cooling)
>
>In the winter 2011 issue for the two plants in Ohio Honda lists
>GJ first with kBtu in paren  as 5.13 GJ (4.872 kBtu).
>

>ASHRAE Journal allows some SI.
>
>Robert Bushnell

Pat Naughtin LCAMS
Author of the ebook, Metrication Leaders Guide, see
http://metricationmatters.com/MetricationLeadersGuideInfo.html
Hear Pat speak at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lshRAPvPZY
PO Box 305 Belmont 3216,
Geelong, Australia
Phone: 61 3 5241 2008

Metric system consultant, writer, and speaker, Pat Naughtin, has helped
thousands of people and hundreds of companies upgrade to the modern metric
system smoothly, quickly, and so economically that they now save thousands each
year when buying, processing, or selling for their businesses. Pat provides
services and resources for many different trades, crafts, and professions for
commercial, industrial and government metrication leaders in Asia, Europe, and
in the USA. Pat's clients include the Australian Government, Google, NASA,
NIST,
and the metric associations of Canada, the UK, and the USA.