> On 2011/01/12, at 08:30 , Stephen Humphreys wrote:
>
>> I heard the tragic news about the torrential rain in Australia,
>>
>> However- a little note which will probably annoy you- or at least disappoint
>> They were broadcasting from Australia (BBC) via a feed from an Aussie channel
>>
>> The only use of measures was when someone said (in an strong Aussie accent)
>> 'the water was over 12 foot deep....'

This is a common feature of BBC broadcasts. They interview a number of people
then select the interview to suit their audience. If the BBC audience is in the
UK then "feet" will be chosen from the several interviews available.

Fox News was having the same trouble here
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/01/10/dead-new-flood-australias-crisis-worsens/?test=latestnews
 when one kind soul translated 2 to 3 metres to 6 to 10 feet for the poor
foreign interviewer who didn't seem to know his metres from his elbows.
Translating for foreigners from the UK or the USA is often a matter of
politeness and courtesy.

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin
Geelong, Australia