Good work, Tim!

FYI and to keep in mind the next time you talk to State Senator Allen....
The UPLR model regulation was passed in 1999 and was slated to become effective 0n 2000 January 01. On that date 14 states automatically adopted optional metric-only labeling for goods falling under the UPLR in their states. Those states essentially had regulations that said "abide by the current UPLR". One of the first states to take positive steps to adopt metric-only labeling was Alabama! But a bit later, they reversed that decision. I spoke with the Weights and Measures Officer in that state (who was extremely unhappy about that reversal) and was told that this was due to political pressure by one particular person, essentially an old curmudgeon. He declined to name that person. So, please let Senator Allen know that for a while Alabama was allowing metric-only labeling, on an optional basis of course.

By the way, don't neglect speaking to Weights and Measures Officers!

Jim

On 2011-03-17 1854, Tim Williamson wrote:
Hi everyone,

*Today's metrication update:*

*1.  Alabama* - a.  Today, I spoke with State Senator Allen about
bringing Alabama Code into the modern world by addressing issues in the
code that limits the implementation of NIST HB 130 section 11.33 (pg
89).  We also discussed ways to fix Alabama's Weights and Measures code
in the Department of Agriculture and Industries.  He and I have been in
contact for about two week.  He was surprised that Alabama had not fixed
its' state code in this regard, nor had the state addressed it's
antiquated weights and measures code in the Ag Dept.  The Senator has
assigned the matter for investigation and review, and is also taking my
suggestions for changes to the state code and to the Ag Dept code for
review and study with the appropriate members of the Ag Dept.  I've
attached copies of my suggestions to this letter.
                     b.  State Representative John Merrill and I have
also been communicating over the past two weeks about the same topic.
  Rep. Merrill is on the Rules Committee of the Lower House. He and I
will be meeting for lunch on April 1st to discuss these matters in
person.  He too has received my suggestions for changes to state code
and to ag dept code.
                     c.  The upper house and the lower house of the
Alabama legislature are now involved in addressing Alabama's weights and
measures deficiencies at the state and departmental levels.
                     d.  The Ag Department legal advisor and I have also
been in contact frequently over the past two weeks on this subject.
                     e.  All parties concerned above were surprised that
Alabama had not yet addressed the changes to code.
                     f.   I'll keep you informed as more develops and
becomes open for public discussion in the Alabama situation.

*2.  Federal level* - a.  Today, I spoke with a member of President's
Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP).  We talked about what is
needed to re-authorize EO 12770, with the additional caveat that SI be
made the primary and essential foundational measurement language in all
NSF funded STEM programs to our k-12 schools.  I mentioned to him that
NSF could not act to do this without authorization from NIST.  NIST can
not exceed the mandates issued by the Secretary of Commerce.  In my
conversation with the office of policy at D of C today, I was informed
that to change their course of action in this regard would require
either legislative or executive action.
                            b.  In brief conclusion, OSTP and D of C
promised to keep me informed of their actions and investigations into
this matter.

*3.  US Senate* -  Sen. Murkowski of Alaska presented a report on energy
and natural resources to the Senate body. In her public discussion of
the report, the Senator used kings measurements (English units).  I
called her office, and the committee offices and told them that the
report was very professionally done, except that professional status was
lost when she used the less professional kings measurements in her
statements.  I asked that reports use SI metric units, since metric is
the language of professionals in trade, commerce and science  in the US
and around the world.

*4. Called the American Beverage Association* and asked that they use
metric only labeling in their industry.

Have a great evening everyone.

More as it becomes available.

*/Thanks! /*