  From: Kilopascal
  To: mech...@illinois.edu ; U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:38 AM
  Subject: [USMA:50137] Re: Fwd: National Institute of Standards and Technology
(NIST) TBT Notifications for Americas Update

  I can, but I think you are going to have to help me until I get the feel for
what to look for.  I also believe that others in the USMA need to do their part
and watch the WTO too.

  BTW, wouldn't the FPLA labeling requirement forbidding metric only be
considered a technical barrier to trade?  What about the UK pint requirement?
If I can't sell a litre of beer in a UK pub, isn't that a trade barrier?  Even
UK requirements to have a metric dash board displays changed over in the UK
restricts trade in used automobiles.

  [USMA:50137] Re: Fwd: National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
TBT Notifications for Americas Update
  mechtly
  Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:03:38 -0700

To the extent that I have the time and diligence, I plan to monitor WTO-TBT and
US Federal Register postings to thwart acceptance of OSI units (units of
measurement Outside the SI) and to submit written comments in support of SI.

Can you join me in searching for Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT) which are in
the form of deviations from SI?

For example, what do the trade deals negotiated by President Obama have to say
with respect to *requirements for SI* in designs and labeiing of products?

Gene.