I know that in both Canada and the UK, where the use of the Celsius scale is
now virtually universal (notwithstanding the anti-metric efforts of newspapers
like the Daily Mail), people in casual conversation usually use only 'degrees',
without identifying the scale.  Even my 88 year old mother used to use, and
understand, Celsius, without it having to be explained to her that they were
Celsius degrees.  On my travels through other countries, again, Celsius is a
given, and only 'degrees' is mentioned, again in casual conversation.  You will
likely see 'C' in the written word.  The use of 'degrees' only applied mostly
to the weather and other household situations (do we pour the hot water into
the coffee maker when it is still at 100 degrees or let it cool to 95?).  It
might be necessary to specify the scale in a technical or scientific context,
such talking about how hot a soldering iron should be.

I think HAVING to specify which scale is used at all times is a problem unique
to the US.

And that suggests an idea to help with the US's conversion efforts.  The near
universal use of the Celsius scale by the population in general in both Canada
and the US (and of course Australia etc) has been attributed to the difficulty
in converting between the two scales.  People, instead of converting, just
decided it was easier to learn, and get used to, Celsius.  Perhaps the US
should concentrate on those lines.

Incidentally, we've been enjoying some spring-like weather here in the UK, and
at our local coffee shop yesterday where we meet some friends, everybody was
talking about how warm it was - and all in Celsius, even though we are all
retirees.  Yet yesterday's Daily Mail (I glanced through the shop's customer
reading copy while we were waiting for others to join us) just HAD to say that
the predicted high for today was going to be "64f" [sic].  Sad - I really
wonder why people buy that rag.

John F-L