  From: Kilopascal
  To: John M. Steele ; U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 4:39 AM
  Subject: Re: [USMA:50354] Tough Mozartkugeln

  I can see where there could be religious trouble in Belfast.  I'm sure it
didn't start there in the 1970s when I remember the last time there was
trouble.  So I'm not surprised there was trouble in the early 1800s as well.
What I remember from my history is that the native Irish are Catholics and the
colonists from Scotland brought in by the English are Presbyterians.  It is as
much a Scotch-Irish conflict as it is religious.  Was your ancestor Catholic?

  If your ancestral grandfather was born in 1753 and came in 1802 with young
kids they must have been from a 2-nd marriage and a young wife as he would have
been about 50 years old.  Did your research tell you the origin of the name?
One would think it might have something to do with steel.  The curiosity is why
the e at the end.

  I wonder if Cliff is curious about you, seeing you two have the same last
name.  You might try and contact him privately and inquire about his ancestry.
He may in fact come from the same region your ancestor did and could be a
distant relative.  Wouldn't that be a hoot to find out two Steeles of common
ancestry have the same interest in metric?