  From: Kilopascal
  To: John Frewen-Lord ; U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2011 12:50 PM
  Subject: Re: [USMA:50549] Re: Fwd: ASDA pound campaign

  Since you wrote a book, you may be able to work with your publisher to
publish a booklet on smart metric shopping and how to break free of the
imperial crutch.  Your publisher may even know ways to get financial support to
pay for the booklet so it can be given away for free.  Something that would
benefit those  who insist that metric shopping is a burden and they have to
spend extra time to figure it out.  Of course there are those who are so biased
against metric that no amount of training would help, so then let them suffer.

  Instead of businesses like ASDA reverting to imperial sizes they would be
better off in the long run in offering seminars and classes on smart metric
shopping.  Someone with your knowledge and expertise could play a vital role in
organizing it.  This whole fiasco, if played right could be the catalyst needed
to finally finish the metrication in this industry and end dual pricing as well
as non-metric (not rounded) sizes of some remaining products.  Why not work
with ASDA, Tesco, Sainsbury and others to include a smart metric shopping guide
to their website as a help in adjusting to metric shopping?

  I don't find a problem with 400 g because it is a rounded number, but I would
find a problem with 396 g as that is a hidden 14 ounces.  I understand that a
business needs to downsize its products when it experiences huge price
increases and can't just raise the price without causing discomfort for the
consuming public.  But they should downsize to a rounded metric amount.  400 g
or 450 g would be preferable to 396 g or 454 g and 200 g instead of 227 g.
This is where the problem with their actions lie, in going from a rounded
amount to a non-rounded amount instead of a rounded amount to a rounded amount.

  I'm surprised you didn't respond to this email via the USMA list server.  You
spent a lot of time writing a lot of good stuff that would benefit other
readers but instead only I saw it.