  From: Ressel, Howard (DOT)
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: 2011-08-15 06:58
  Subject: [USMA:50968] Older movies get it right (somewhat)

  Although we would love to see all movies metric, it makes sense that
historically accurate movies use the "language' of the native country and of
the time. So when a WWII movie is produced the Brits would appropriately use
feet and miles, the Germans meters.   I saw the Mackenzie Break this weekend,
made in 1970, and indeed they did just that. The Germans, trying to escape an
English POW camp, used meters, centimeters etc. and the Brits referenced
distances in miles.   Even better, but not relevant, the Germans spoke in
Germans with subtitles.

  Howard Ressel

  Project Design Engineer

  NYSDOT